Friday, October 15, 2010

Final Count Down - New Painting!


So i've been in some what of a rut lately artistically. I can't seem to shake this "overwhelmed" feeling, and i keep worrying about things like "finishing" all of my half finished work that up all over my house and studio.. My solution? try my hardest to START ANOTHER PAINTING and finish it, undercutting all of the 20 or so other pieces that are patiently collecting dust, waiting to be finished and loved.

Thankfully though, i actually accomplished my task. It's only because i specifically planned my attack with this painting. (a discipline that i dont hold true to very often.) I wanted THIS painting to be a quick loose study of the world in my head, allowing me to focus on movement, composition, and simplicity rather than over-complication, and a huge "murky middle" of the painting(the point in a painting when it becomes less "fun" and more "work" to accomplish what your going after) to deal with.

It took me about 10 hours to complete over a 2 day time period. A few weeks ago i went to Good Will (the bins) on Portland Rd here in Salem, and picked up this old canvas in a nice frame that matched it perfectly, and decided to restretch some new *unripped* canvas material onto this used stretcherbar, and also to repaint the frame black(from an off cream color) with some extra spray paint i had laying around.

A couple of weeks passed before i finally decided to rip out all of the old staples and to remove the ripped oil painting from the stretcher bar. I then proceeded to try out my new electric "heavy duty" staple gun(which doesnt have a safety and therefore can shoot across the room without warning.) to apply my new piece of canvas to the wood.

Keep in mind the only reason im doing this is because i dont actually have any motivation to PAINT anything..

But then for some reason, as i SCRAPED my last bit of Gesso to cover the canvas, inspiration struck! i dont know if the simple fact that an unmolested canvas with a new beginning was now under my direct control, or the music playing from Pandora was just the right fit for my creative juices to freely flow, but i was already off to paint my background. all i knew is that i wanted to paint birds... yes i know.. the painting isn't OF birds.. but thats neither here NOR there at this point.

as i started to lay down the bottom greys and blacks, i started to realize that the composition and overall look of the piece looked like another "post apocalyptic" city scapes but even MORE devistated than usual, so i quickly forgot about the birds and followed my muse.

The literal meaning of birds soon became a figurative statement as soon as the painting was done, complete with spaceships taking off, and lonely stranded survivors watching the last of their fellow men, woman & children take off never to see their destroyed homeland again.

This painting has changed so much from my original idea, i just had to write about the process of its creation! I'm always amazed at how far a painting can take you from your own mind. With the right surroundings and eagerness to expand your mind and abilities, a person can really break through some creative and emotional barriers without even realizing it! I know i just did.

I will be doing more paintings like this, with a "concept art" feel, but also with a rich narrative and full cycle story attached to it. I hope you guys like it! please let me know what your take on the image is, my favorite part of the painting process is to learn what others see in the art, i dont think that to this day, i have ever had anyone see the same thing that i have seen, atleast not fully.

Last but not least, i named it "Final Countdown" because although i dont really LIKE the song, i love the message of the 80's song "The Final Count Down", and wanted that message to be cemented in my art forever.
This painting and print of this painting are available for sale at www.etsy.com/shop/chriswilhelmart

Cheers to creativity and the act of breaking barriers!

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating, nice description of the creative urge, or temporary lack thereof, and the entrance of the muse!

    ReplyDelete